False imprisonment is, just like assault and battery, both a criminal charge and a civil wrong that you can bring to civil court with the help of an experienced personal injury lawyer. If you’ve been the victim of false imprisonment, you should contact the offices of Girvin & Ferlazzo, P.C. as soon as possible to begin your civil case. That’s because even while the criminal charges are pending, we can begin the process of helping you sue for damages caused by your false imprisonment. The injuries sustained from false imprisonment aren’t always physical, although that’s too often the case. Many victims of false imprisonment also suffer from mental and emotional scars, such as post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression, and worse. Bringing their case to a civil court can help the victim receive financial compensation for their physical, mental and emotional trauma so they can focus on their recovery.

What is False Imprisonment?

False imprisonment is being held against your will without means of escape by someone who does not have your permission or the legal authority to do so. While you hear about false imprisonment a lot in kidnapping cases, it can happen in many circumstances. You might be locked in a car against your will, restrained inside of a bedroom, or told you cannot leave someone else’s apartment or else they will harm you. You may be held unreasonably by a store owner or even the Police. It’s important to keep in mind that false imprisonment doesn’t necessarily mean you were restrained by physical force. Many victims of false imprisonment were held through threats and intimidation. A good example of this would be being held against your will during a robbery. The robber might not physically restrain you, but they might point a gun at you and tell you that if you move or try to leave, you’ll be killed. That’s being held against your will with no means of safe escape, and that’s false imprisonment.

You Can Sue for False Imprisonment

If you’ve been held against your will, not only should you call the police, you should call an experienced personal injury attorney. Your legal team can start the investigations into your imprisonment and start building a case for civil court. You may be entitled to financial compensation for the injuries that you sustained due to your imprisonment, whether they are mental or physical. The medical bills associated with false imprisonment can quickly add up, especially if you underwent psychological trauma that requires treatment. The person who did this to you should be held responsible and made to pay so you can get the treatment that you need to get your life back to normal.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

Girvin & Ferlazzo, P.C. offer free consultations to those who have been the victim of false imprisonment. We’ll review the details of your case with you and help you determine if you have a valid case. Then we’ll get to work for you. Our team will take care of everything, and your case will be in capable hands. You’ll be able to focus your time and attention on your recovery while we fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call us or contact us through our website today.